Please keep checking this page for more handouts and information on teaching.
Spartan Online Newsroom | JRN400 | Fall 2012
Online Media | JMC 305(Honors) | Spring 2012
Online Media | JMC 305 | Spring 2012
Online Media | JMC 305 | Fall 2011
Online Media | JMC 305 | Spring 2011
Online Media | JMC 305 | Fall 2010
Online Media | JMC 305 | Spring 2010
Online Media | JMC 425 | Fall 2009
Online Media | JMC 425 | Spring 2009
Online Media | JMC 425 | Spring 2008
Online Journalism | Online Media: JMC425 | Fall 2007
Broadcast News and Production | Broadcast News II: JRN 403 January 2005 – May 2005
Online Journalism | Digital Reporting for the Web: JRN 490, August – May 2006
- Free Multimedia for Your Blog
- Blogging Assignment
- Blogging Grading Rubric
- Live Blogging with Cover It Live
- Social Media Assignments (Twitter, Press Release, Honors)
- Social Media Press Release Using Free Presskit’n
- Social Media Assignment (Fall 2010)
- Setting up ASU WordPress
- Setting up Free WordPress
- Using Twitter to find jobs
- Create a Twitter Background
- Twitter Scavenger Hunt
- Twitter Class Assignment
- Promoting Your Blog
CSS and Web Editing
- Visual Embeds (Polls, Maps, Tag Clouds, Audio Players, Forms, Video, Slideshow, Timelines, Documents, Sharing icons)
- Image Correction and Editing in Photoshop (CS5)
- Photoshop Lesson and Banner Exercise (CS5)
- Creating a Panorama (CS3)
- Preparing Photos for the Web (CS3)
- Video sidebar for Online Media
- Video Grading Form
- Video Assignment Critique Form
- Exporting and Encoding Flash Video (CS3)
- Uploading Video to YouTube
- Dark Video in FCP
- Formatting External Drive
- Copyright Basics
- JMC305 Website Project Guidelines
- Forwarding your URL with GoDaddy
- Site Credibility Assignment
- Freelance Job Opportunities
General Digital Skills Texts
Briggs, M. (2011). Entrepreneurial journalism: How to build what’s next for news. Washington, DC: CQ Press.
Foust, J. (2011). Online journalism: Principles and practices of news for the web. Scottsdale, AZ: Holcomb Hathway Publishers.
Green, S.C., Lodato, M.J., Schwalbe, C.B., & Silcock, B. (2012). News now: Visual storytelling in the digital age. Allyn & Bacon.
Luckie, Mark S. (2010). The digital journalist’s handbook.
Thornburg, R. (2010). Producing online news: Digital skills, stronger stories. Washington, DC: CQ Press.
Tompkins, A. (2011). Aim for the heart. Write, shoot, report, and produce for TV and multimedia. Chicago, Ill.: Bonus Books.
Wenger, D.H., & Potter, D. (2011). Advancing the story. Broadcast journalism in the multimedia world. CQ Press: Washington, DC.
Berger, A.B. (2008). Seeing is believing. An introduction to visual communication. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Christian, B. (2011). The most human human: What talking with computers teaches us about what it means to be alive. New York: Doubleday.
Eiseman, L. (2006). Color: Messages and meanings. Cincinnati, OH: Hand Brooks Press.
Friend, C. & Singer, J.B. (2010). Online journalism ethics. Traditions and transitions. New York: M.E. Sharpe, Inc.
Gillmor, D. (2010). Mediactive. Creative Commons License.
McFarland, D.S. (2010). Dreamweaver CS5. The missing manual. Sebastopol, CA: O’Reilly Media, Inc.
Nielsen, & Pernice, K. (2010). Eyetracking web usability. Berkeley, CA: Nielson Norman Group.
Pariser, E. (2011). The filter bubble: What the internet is hiding from you. London, England: Penguin Press.
Paterson, C., & Domingo, D. (2011). Making online news. New York: Peter Lang Publishing, Inc.
Rushkoff, D. (2011). Program or be programmed: Ten commands for a digital age.
Shirky, C. (2010). Cognitive surplus: How technology makes consumers into collaborators. London, England: Penguin Press.
Turkle, S. (2011). Alone together. Why we expect more from technology and less from each other. New York: Basic Books, Inc.
Zittrain, J. (2008). The future of the internet and how to stop it. Creative Commons License.